Welcome to DTE Gaming
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Total War: Shogun 2

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Lobotomy Lobster

Lobotomy Lobster

Veteran

• Veterans
  • 1071 posts
Posted Image

Official Site: http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2
Developer: Creative Assembly
Release date: March 15th 2011

The same Total War games we've seen before, going back to Shogun (my favourite TW game) in 16th century Japan. The big new thing this time round is multiplayer campaigns which include a full map mode, much more detailed seiges and samurai style naval combat, as well as a return to ninjas and geishas. There's also some character progression crap that seems to be part of the current grinding/unlocking fad and the game is being published by Sega so expect some bizare stuff.

The demo is out and can be found on steam (lazy people click here)

Edited by Lobotomy Lobster, 22 February 2011 - 05:49 PM.

Armgas

Armgas

Robot Veteran

• Veterans
  • 914 posts
Having now played the demo I got the feeling they thought heroes of might and magic 3 was the best game ever made. So they copied everything and added some details to make it look cool.
The learning curve in the demo is low in everything except combat. Realtime combat with 20 different companies most of which special units each with 4 or so different special abilities, against an enemy force of equal size is certainly not for newbies. I'd say the combat learning curve almost ridiculously steep.

As for the graphics I don't understand why they spent so much time polishing unit details etc. The only time you are going to see it is in cutscenes. And and despite the details it still doesn't manage to impress. It's quite simply not up to the same standard as video cutscenes in other games. I was running it with details set to ultra-hyper and then some (including lighting occlusion, soft shadows and depth blur and such insane stuff), and it ran smoothly. That is quite impressive though.

I will certainly have a look at the final game when it comes out. But I doubt I will be buying it if it turns out to have this ridiculous element of huge army combat from first step. Cause its not fun to be confused and overrun half the time, and then I wont be putting in the effort to master it due to motivation going downhill.

Hail the empire.
Screw the emperor.

Wingers

Wingers

Resident Drunk

• Clan Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England
  • Steam:djwingers
i've never seen the great fascination of the Total War games to be honest . . . i guess im just a sucker for shit dat goes boom!

<pointless post of the day />

mosi

mosi

Llama

• Clan Officers
  • 2109 posts
  • LocationWilloughton
  • Steam:mosimo

i've never seen the great fascination of the Total War games to be honest . . . i guess im just a sucker for shit dat goes boom!

<pointless post of the day />

I'm with Wingers on this one :D I've not once enjoyed playing any of the Total War games. not my kind of RTS.

Lobotomy Lobster

Lobotomy Lobster

Veteran

• Veterans
  • 1071 posts
This game is now irrelevent

http://www.rockpaper...ced/#more-52629

Wolf

Wolf

GW2 Leader

• Junior Clan Officers
  • 195 posts
aww no love for the shogun 2? shame as its quite an enjoyable game once you get into it
always on the lookout for someone to play a coop campaign with.. that doesnt quit halfway through..

DaRK oMeN XIII

DaRK oMeN XIII

• Validating
  • 1191 posts

I bought it 3 days ago. I am absolutely addicted to it. Some guy even took 2 hours of his life to explain a shit ton of tips (He is some sort of Total War veteran)

Nanuq

Nanuq

Dark Tyrant

• Clan Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

I always enjoyed the shogun are TW games but will most likely skip this 1 due to silly low budjet I have going atm (already have a few coming games budjeted :/). The Co-op campaign sounds really nice

Sheshka

Sheshka

Cat

• Clan Members
  • 176 posts

I always enjoyed the shogun are TW games but will most likely skip this 1 due to silly low budjet I have going atm (already have a few coming games budjeted :/). The Co-op campaign sounds really nice

It's been going on sale for £6.24 I think, but online is pretty dead considering how old it is.  Depends on who you plan to play with (unless you just wanna do SP) as to whether it's worth it. 

meow

Wolf

Wolf

GW2 Leader

• Junior Clan Officers
  • 195 posts

Nanuq is probably talking about Rome 2 which releases tommorow (omg yay.. wait i got work.. damn..)

As for shogun 2 - really good game with alot of potential, after you have played through a few full games i suggest looking at the steam workshop as there are a load of mods that can really get you hooked on the game again!

a word of warning though, the avatar multiplayer thing is a complete grind fest of having to fight against people with better unlocks in their army and lose over and over and over and yeah i lost count and gave up entirely - its quite fun when you do win through better tactics with inferior units, but its damnright annoying when a single of their units destroys 5 huge units completely engulfing them and basically ends the entire battle -_-'

would be up for some more coop campaigns if we can figure out when we are both available to play :) (though i may end up nagging you to play rome2 coop instead)

DaRK oMeN XIII

DaRK oMeN XIII

• Validating
  • 1191 posts

I am up for some coop Shogun 2. Not sure how that works though.

Currently I am playing with the Darthmod installed and some extra stuff which makes this more awesome then it is. I wish I had the finances to get Rome 2 anytime soon, but I don't :D

Maybe at a later time I will get Rome 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users