Welcome to DTE Gaming
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

uk broadband providers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

mosi

mosi

Llama

• Clan Officers
  • 2109 posts
  • LocationWilloughton
  • Steam:mosimo
Ok I get broadband april 27th.. I need a provider. I was wondering if there are any providers that can offer more tahn 256k upstream (min 512k if possible) Or is it capped for everyony at 256k through the phone line?

According to bt my max downstream can only be 1mbit (stupid bitches at bt) I can't get any NTL/Telewest type things only ones through a bt phone line.

mosi-sig-ttd2.png

Uncledad

Uncledad

• Members
  • 154 posts
ADSL in the uk is allways 256k by default NTL broardban is also 256k..... fucking slack BB providers... if just one of them decided lets provide router support and a decent upstream they would get bummed by every computergeek in the uk...

Sari

Sari

Dark Tyrant

• Clan Members
  • 486 posts
DUDE. I have heard this before from you..wtf..and anyway, how do you download or whatever at 512 kb/s now?
-AKBT
-Tsot

mosi

mosi

Llama

• Clan Officers
  • 2109 posts
  • LocationWilloughton
I do all my broadband related things at work, it's 2mbit up/down here

I might be able to get a wireless cnnection from here to my house but only if the isp pulls their fingers out their arses.

Anyway.. bah @ 256k upload... it sucks, I can't get by on that

mosi-sig-ttd2.png

Meech

Meech

Dark Tyrant

• Clan Members
  • 405 posts
hehe uk noobs! :D:D so many bb providers here that have 512kb upload :P
Meech

There is no IRL, only AFK!
The Master of AFK'ing

Armgas

Armgas

Robot Veteran

• Veterans
  • 914 posts
Here they will go as far as 2mbit for private residences. 4mbit/2mbit sure doesnt sound that bad. (limit soon to be changed for 8mbit)
They are about to step up for 8mbit DSL in a months time. And lowering prices.. but instead of just lowering they upgrade everyone to a better line for the same price. I paid for a 256/128kbit line originally, but they wanted to stop providing 256kbit lines, so they upped my line to 512 and couldnt charge me much more due to laws.. I got twice the speed for 1euro extra a month. Now I got a message that they are upgrading me again to twice the speed.. and I pay way under what everyone else pays for a 512 due to the last upgrade.

Why do you need that upload btw?

Hail the empire.
Screw the emperor.

mosi

mosi

Llama

• Clan Officers
  • 2109 posts
  • LocationWilloughton
I have my reasons for needing the upload, main one being it takes too long to upload 700mb at about 30kb/sec

mosi-sig-ttd2.png

Armgas

Armgas

Robot Veteran

• Veterans
  • 914 posts
Now listen son.. be happy that you have that. Back in the day I used a 28kbit modem, and I paid for every minute spent online.

Hail the empire.
Screw the emperor.

Rymdkejsaren

Rymdkejsaren

Veteran

• Clan Officers
  • 3021 posts
That's the reason I didn't come on IRC for almost a year... I'd be paying by the hour... :cry:

"It's only hubris if I fail." - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Mass Debater

Mass Debater

• Members
  • 568 posts
I remember using dialup BEFORE the internet, back when all that was out there where BBS's. Now who wants me to pwn them in CS:S, WITH MY CANE !!!! Ouch, I threw my back out typing those caps.

/me goes to get some aspirin and a heat pack
Posted Image

DaRK oMeN XIII

DaRK oMeN XIII

• Validating
  • 1191 posts
i remember playing diablo on 28.8k modem. The first bill I ever got was €500 !!!!

mosi

mosi

Llama

• Clan Officers
  • 2109 posts
  • LocationWilloughton
When I was a little nub and my first computer, I had AOL (yes I regreted it) and I think the first phone bill was for like £350, but the thing is.... According to AOL we were still in our free trial period :/

mosi-sig-ttd2.png

LowMan

LowMan

• Members
  • 865 posts
First time I went on the internet at home was on my 33.3k modem and it was an AOL free cd. It took me just a few short minutes to go...."This is shit!". Then I went on to Telewest Dialup (Before there was broadband) and i've never looked back! ^_^

Now of course..... *huggles his 2Mb connection*
Posted Image

Posted Image
LowMan's Wii: 8532 1026 0247 7498

Wedge

Wedge

• Members
  • 407 posts
14.4k biznitches. Back in 1992 using an Acorn. Rocking stuff.
Posted Image

Rymdkejsaren

Rymdkejsaren

Veteran

• Clan Officers
  • 3021 posts
Yeh I remember dialup BBS's too. My friend hosted one at his house, though I never really got into because anything I wanted he'd get for me. :D

"It's only hubris if I fail." - Gaius Julius Ceasar

Sari

Sari

Dark Tyrant

• Clan Members
  • 486 posts
14.4 kb/s on Netcom. Hah, that was the days ;). First time I went online, I saw my some naked chick in my dad's "history," and asked my brother...

"Is that the history of the internet?"

He laughed at me, but sadly, I was more right than I'd ever know.
-AKBT
-Tsot

Mass Debater

Mass Debater

• Members
  • 568 posts

I saw my some naked chick in my dad's "history,"

What ?!?!
I swear I'm only picking on you for that "Wow Mass plays well." Comment in CS:S
Posted Image

Sari

Sari

Dark Tyrant

• Clan Members
  • 486 posts

I saw my some naked chick in my dad's "history,"

What ?!?!
I swear I'm only picking on you for that "Wow Mass plays well." Comment in CS:S

Browser history. And wtf are you talking about? My memory is shot from teh pot ;[.
-AKBT
-Tsot

Wingers

Wingers

Resident Drunk

• Clan Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationLeeds, England
  • Steam:djwingers
stop talking about crappy dial up, it was a constant headache lol

altho i wont complain cos i still got 2 play Quake 2 online :P

but i got broadband and i wont look back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users